Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A Mouse and Ten Things

So I promised Mike that today's entry would be interesting and worth reading. So here we go...
First I wanted to give you a run down on somethings that happened to me yesterday that I deem worth mentioning.

1. I saw a rat in the subway. I know, I know, most of you that live in NYC are like---sheesh! I see rats all the time in the subway. Ok, fine. I do too, but it is my secret fun game to stand on the platform and play "find a rat." There actually have been several days where I've seen TWO rats. When I see two rats, I automatically win the game, even if I'm playing alone. I rarely ever play the game with other people. I prefer to think of it as a game of "urban solitaire."

2. When I was walking down the stairs to the express train, there was a sandstorm and a a lot of dust got in my eyes. The wind was so strong coming up from the platform. Yes, this was extremely disturbing. Imagine walking down stairs, inside the already dank and somewhat gross subway. A wind is blowing nasty subway, rat-infested (see #1) dirt all in your face. I was unhappy at this event.

3. I had a 30 minute conversation about midgets. We were talking about midgets yesterday at tutoring. I think if I was a midget, I'd totally sign up for any gigs that involved midgets. I'd get famous quick.
-------------------------------

So, last night I was on my computer fooling around---and I didn't have my glasses on. I saw something weird on my bedroom floor and I couldn't make out what it was. I walked closer since I couldn't see that well and I saw that it was a little cute mouse. A little cute mouse in my FRIGGIN' BEDROOM! It was just COLD chillin' on my rug, not moving, not doing anything. I was like literally, what do I do?! I don't like killing cute things, even disease-ridden things. I mean, it was a mouse not a rat for heaven's sake. So, I called my sister and this is what she told me to do:

"Get a shoebox and put some cheese in it and then wait for the mouse to get in the box and start eating the cheese and then run and close the box and then let it loose outside. "

Ok, there are a few flaws in this plan:
1. I didn't have any cheese
2. I would have to sit and wait for the mouse to "come out" and get into the box
3. I would then have to "catch" the mouse in the box by approaching it and NOT scaring it
4. I would then have to carry a mouse in a box outside and let it loose on the street---yeah, that's not going to look horrible.
5. the plan inherently is the worst idea ever.

So--instead I suggested a mouse trap. I know I just said I don't like to kill things, but I didn't see another feasible choice. I walked over to Duane Reade and got some traps. I was insecure about the wooden one, positive that I would snap myself in one, you know like in The Goonies? Well, anyway, I bought these like "house traps" where they go in and then it snaps shut. I checked them all this morning but there was no mouse.

I don't really care about the mouse REALLY. I just got a little freaked out about having one in my room. Whatever, I eventually I get so tired that I fall asleep. I wake up at about 1:30am from a nightmare. I had a dream that the mouse was like in my hand in the bed caressing my fingers. I literally JUMPED out of bed still asleep practically. I went over to the computer and read up on mouse behavior. "Could this really have happened?" I thought. I then went on to read where they like to "nest" and "eat. " I was looking for clues to see if they could get into my bed. It said that mice can jump up to 12 inches and can climb up practically anything. Great, it COULD be in my bed. I had to keep repeating to myself, "Mice are scared of people. They don't want to snuggle with me." Over and over again. I was so tired from the nightmare and the internet surfing that I went to bed right away, sure that I'd have another nightmare. I didn't. I woke up tired this morning and with no dead mice to show. I did try to find something positive out of the situation though...

Ten Things to find on your bedroom floor that are WORSE than a mouse:
1. a pidgeon (dead or alive)
2. a scorpion
3. a dead clown
4. two month old lasagna (or baked ziti right Kimmy?)
5. a pile of lougies
6. vomit
7. a love note from Jesse Kovach
8. a recently fired gun with blood all over it
9. a dead ocelot
10. a tapeworm

I came into work and of course told the story to my co-workers. Mike told me a sure-fire way to catch the mouse. He said to get the normal wooden mouse traps and then smear peanut butter on part where it snaps and then "brush" vanilla extract all over the rest of the trap to mask the smell of human touch. He said he killed a bunch of mice that way in college. I'm going to try that tonight. I'm secretly excited to do an experiment like this. It's going to be on my list of, "Things that Everyone Should have to do in their Life." My life seems to always be an adventure.

***For a second hand account on my first experience in killing a small nasty creature, you may ask Alexi or Steph.***

Enjoy your days everyone!

Love,
Lauren

5 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hilarious entry. i give it A+. but really, sticky mouse pads are just about as disturbing as you writing about finding a bloody gun in your room. what the hell.

     
  • At Tuesday, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We had a mouse and his name was sebastian. He ate all of our food until we were too poor to buy more so he left for greener pastures or other houses full of food. Traps don't work and they just create the bigger problem of having to deal with a angry dying mouse, and those screams will haunt me/you forever.

     
  • At Tuesday, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahahah, this is almost as good as the roach story. FYI--pepperoni on traps works well too, or you can just borrow my cat if you want:-)

     
  • At Tuesday, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tough call, but I think I'd prefer a dead clown in my room to a live one. On second thought, I have no idea. Fuck clowns.

     
  • At Wednesday, March 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I might have to go with the vomit or lugies. And if we had a mouse, one of the 2 boys (bloack labs) would be chasing it around the house.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home