Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Adventures in Germany

So--I know that the tears are streaming from those of you that relied on my blog for morning entertainment. But the good news is that I'm back in action. I returned from Germany last night and have stories to tell. I think I'm going to approach it like I did my LA trip or else I'm afraid you all might lose interest and then stop reading and then all my hopes and dreams about being blogfamous won't come true. So--let's start off:

Tuesday, March 7th: Departure
  • Went to the airport after frantically trying to change dollars into euros after work. Broke into a sweat trying to do that. Went home, packed the rest of the stuff that I didn't pack from the night before (read: everything) and then was on my way to JFK.
  • The trip to JFK was easy and uneventful. If any of you New Yorkers want to know the best way to do it for as little money as possible, just ask, I'll be happy to share my secrets.

Wednesday, March 8th: Arrival and Army

  • So Kimmy's met me at the airport and we drove Jason's pimp BMW over to the post where he works. We got lunch, which was fantastic b/c I was famished after sleeping through "breakfast" on the plane.
  • Then we went shopping for dinner at the PX: which is the commissary. I was tired, so I took a nap and then we hung out the rest of the night.
  • Oh---Kimmy's (and Jason's dog) Lucy, is cute. It's funny b /c I actually am planning on naming my daughter Lucy. Ah well----I'm sure there are dog's named "Lauren" too.

Thursday, March 9th: Nuremburg

  • Went to Nuremberg with Kim and her friend Jenn. Ate at a Gasthaus and had cabbage in a salad w/ chicken.* (see after daily entries)
  • Went to the art museum there--lots of Durer, decent stuff. There was also this cool globe, that was the oldest globe found---but the cool thing is that North and South America aren't even on it. So clearly it was before 1492. Anyway, it was cool.
  • Went up to the castle. It started to pour, and it was cold, then it was after 4 so we could only look at it from the outside cause it was closed. It was still neat.
  • Saw another cool church, St. Lawrence. It was all bombed up in WW2, but it still was neat to see the inside.
  • Ate dinner---chicken and rice
  • Watched American Idol**

**One thing you should know about German TV---well Army TV--- is that there are no real commercials. There are just ads for like Army stuff and safety. Just imagine this: think of "the more you know" commercials, but then think of them being done w/out famous people giving the message and imagine them in a quality of Baltimore car dealer commericals. Also imagine eveyone in the commercial wearing fatigues. Ok---there you have it: ALL THE COMMERCIALS ON TV.

Friday, March 10th: Wurtzburg

  • Kimmy and I went to Wurtzburg, which is like 30 minute drive from their city. It's also where Kimmy works at the 1st Infantry Division Museum.
  • We visited the museum, saw cool tanks, guns, old rations, and met her boss. Her name is Gabby and she looks like Shrek, but imagine Shrek being a woman and white, not green.
  • Saw the Wurtzburg castle, you have to walk up this path and it started to rain and we were afraid that we wouldn't make it in time before it closed. So we ate instead, b/c we were both famished
  • We ate wurst, like usual, except this place had bangin' potatoes and a good salad. Also, we had Radler---which is this delicious beer. Especially if you won't really like beer, like if you like cider instead. It is like lemonadey-beer. Anyway, it's good!
  • Then we walked around, saw a few really great churches and then went back home.
  • We had to pack for Munchen, and drive the dog to the kennel.
  • Drive to Munchen. I ate too much Haribo candy and then my blood sugar went crashing down. I felt sick and needed sustanenace.
  • We forgot the STROH***

***Stroh is this disgusting alcohol, when you smell it you think: hmmmm...is this a mix of oil and nail polish remover? We were supposed to bring it to Munich so that I could drink some and be inducted into the Stroh shot club.

  • We drive three hours to Munich, we were meeting Jason's friends Tony and Wink there. They had arrived before us and checked out the place that kim reserved for us to stay at and apparently it was like a rat hole. We stayed at the sheraton instead.
  • We get there and walk a million miles to this restaurant where I eat risotto and drink more beer.
  • We go across the street to a champagne bar and I had a bellini, not exactly your typical 1am drink. But it was better than the scotch that the boys were drinking.

Saturday, March 11th: Munchen in Full

  • Woke up and had the complementary breakfast, which was exhaustive. I didn't feel well, I had like an air bubble stuck in my intestines and it felt like someone was stabbing me everyone once in a while. So I didn't talk much. But it was yummy.
  • Kimmy and I went on an adventure to the Munchen art museum. They have an amazing collection. Lots of Rubens, Rembrandt, and Durer---so northern baroque.
  • Then we walked over to the Glockenspeil and took pix there. Went into another church, it was the one that the current pope was "stationed" at or whatever. So there are all these things around about how proud they are.
  • Ate a sandwich.
  • Went shopping, got presents for the fam and got some really cute shoes. I can't wait to wear them to work (Biggs---they are so adorable, I thought of you when I bought them)
  • Then while we were shopping, Kimmy and I dreamed about being rich.
  • Went back to hotel, took a nap to get ready for the evening's festivities.
  • Woke up and went to eat---had schnitzel---it was good. Also ate Apple Strudel and drank Radler, that good beer I was talking about earlier.
  • Went to the Hopfbrauhaus--this is the beer place with the bis ass stein's of beer and the ladies wearing those like "German outfits" and the Oompa band and everything. Drank a liter of beer.
  • We went to Hard Rock and drank a little there too. (I know---it's totally American, but it was across the street and there were like no American's there) I got stuff for my nephews.
  • At this point it was like----really freezing and snowing outside. We took a cab to this Russian club. It was very strange. We were the only americans there for sure and probably the only non-Russians. They played Russian music and like very technoey and not really that great music. There were like two "american" songs played and they were cut off. It was only ok. We left at like 2:00.
  • Kim and Wink wanted a Doner----this is a turkish food, basically it's a gyro. There are a lot of Turks in Germany. I chilled w/the Turk who was making the Doner for them.
  • Took a cab home, started blizzarding and out cab/van was sliding out of control 80% of the time.

Sunday, March 12th: Back to America

  • Woke up---ate Breakfast, said goodbye to Wink and Tony and drove back to Schweinfurt.
  • Got home, packed and then proceeded to drive to Frankfut. On this drive I did eat some Haribo candy, but I didn't get sick like before.
  • Flight home was fine and uneventful.

*Things Germans like to Eat:

  1. Sausage/Bratwurst
  2. Cabbage
  3. Potatoes
  4. Beer
  5. Apples
  6. Bread
  7. Breaded Veal/Pork
  8. Cabbage
  9. Potatoes
  10. Sausage/Bratwurst
So the trip was great. BIG shout out to both Kim and Jason for hosting me. It was a fantastic trip. I'll be sure to share some good photos when I upload them. :)

Getting back to work was fine. I woke up rearing to go at like 4:30am. I was disappointed to have to go back to sleep b/c I was totally awake. I have a new crush at the office that I won't talk about in detail b/c I don't want my work location being revealed. Who knows what kind of sleuthing you people do. But obviously, most of you know where I work anyway. Don't put it in the comments section. I want it to be on the DL.

Have a great Monday everyone!
Love,
Lauren

1 Comments:

  • At Thursday, March 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LAUREN! In GERMANY! That sounds amazing. My boyfriend is going in June for the world cup. I LOVE LOVE your blog.

    Ps...is that an ocelot..cause if it is which I think it is I def saw it and laughed so hard diet coke came out my nose..it hurt.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home