Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Barley and Wine

Last night, Jess came over for dinner. We had a blast. I was making Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Parmesan that I got out of the May issue of Real Simple. I was really excited. I picked up all the ingredients from the magazine.

Dear Real Simple,

I was so excited to make your recipe for Barley Risotto on page 310 of the May issue. I invited my friends over for dinner and we made it together. I bought all the ingredients for the recipe and planned on serving dinner around 7:30 pm. I was horrified when after an hour we had only added half a cup of the chicken broth. Basically, it's been 3 and a half hours since we started cooking this recipe and we are resigned to eating a flavorful, but very crunchy, version of your risotto. Please note: there are two types of barley, hulled and pearl. Hulled barley pretty much never cooks, and pearl barley is what was needed for this recipe. There was nothing "real simple" about this recipe at all. Next time you suggest a recipe with barley, please be sure to specify what type of barley is required to make this a 45 minute recipe and not an all night endeavor. I love your magazine! But you have to make you idiot proof it for your readers!

xo, SimplyLauren, NYC
------------------------------
We drank bunches of wine and had a blast.

I woke up this morning to my alarm. I thought it was Saturday.

Love,
Lauren

2 Comments:

  • At Monday, April 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Lauren - I love to make barley risotto. Sorry to hear you had a hard time with it. Don't give up. I can give you a yummy veggie version. Love reading your blog. Chris Druhan

     
  • At Monday, April 23, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hahahahaha I love your line, "There was nothing 'real simple' about this recipe"! Please please send the letter to them! Tey need to know the travails we endured laboring over that damn pot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home