Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Commuting and Beavers

So---one thing I've noticed recently is the difference in my commute depending on what time I'm out the door on any given day. I really try and get out the door by 6:40am. This generally enables me to catch the local bus that stops RIGHT outside my apartment. I get on said bus, along with about 5 other people (it's even a double length bus) and then arrive at work at aprox. 7:02 or something. However, if for some reason, I over sleep and I get out the door at 6:45am instead of 5 minutes before...forget about it! I either see the local bus pulling away from my stop or it just is none in sight. I walk down the few blocks where the limited stop is to wait for any bus to stop. The funny thing is that the bus stop is full (unlike my empty local one) and the next bus that comes is a Limited bus. This is fine b/c since I'm running late I like to hop on the limited only to have to walk an additional two blocks to work. But---check this out. Just 5 minutes after my normal leaving work time----the bus is practically full. I mean not 86 crosstown bus during rush hour full, but I had to stand. This is crazy. What is the deal with people commuting hard core at quarter of 7?

I think that there must be some dichotomy between those that leave at 6:40 and those that leave at 6:45 and after. I mean, there just MUST have to be because I have no other way of explaining the tripled amount of people on the street and on the bus. Anyway, it really aggrivates me too b/c the traffic is also worse within this five minute window getting me to work at like 7:15am. It's like a strange New York commuting anomaly.

Next to the word "productive" in the dictionary should be a picture of me. Last night was the perfect example. You know how I was explaining yesterday all the stuff I had on my to-do list from yesterday's post? Well---guess who did practically ALL OF IT? If you are thinking SimplyLauren, then you are RIGHT!!!

After work Courtney invited me to drinks at the Bull and Bear with Tommy G. It was great! I had two, but then they had to go to the Women in Sports dinner and I had to go all the other things on my list. I hopped on the bus home and then went grocery shopping for my dinner party on Thursday. I got practically all the things I needed with the exception of a few that I'll get today or tomorrow. Then, I unpacked and put everything where it needed to be and threw on running clothes and headed out for a 3.5 M run. It was really nice. There was practically no one out and it was a beautiful night. Maybe because it was like 9pm on a Monday. I came home, ran out to get some stuff from Duane Reade. I needed some last minute things for later on that night.

While I was standing in line, which I have to say I hate doing---there was a woman in front of me who looked pretty normal right? Except for one thing: SHE HAD ONE BIG DREADLOCK. IT LOOKED LIKE A BEAVER TAIL. It was horrific. In fact, it was one of the most horrific things I'd ever seen in my life. I was in one of those moods, like a giggly one and I really couldn't stop laughing. I was trying my best not to laugh too loud or too obviously at the woman with the beaver tail for hair, but like---I couldn't help it! Then, a couple got in line after me and were whispering about it and that just set me off even more. I totally couldn't hold it in. I was convulsing in line trying not to drop all the stuff I had in my hands. Anyway, it was so funny/disgusting. You had to be there I guess.

Then I went home and made cookie dough for Halloween cut outs that I'm having for my party. I made a double batch. I even did the dishes!! (A feat in and of itself!) Then, I took a shower b/c I was so disgusting and covered in sweat from my run and also covered in flour and other things cause of baking.

The only thing I didn't do was my Norwegian homework, which I'm going to try and do today at work (shhhh...).

I'm busy today.

Happy Tuesday!

Love,
Lauren

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, October 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hahahaha, did the beaver tail have little bits of debris in it? Could you detect an odor? How much money would I have to offer you to use it as a pillow for a night? Would you do it for $700?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home