Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cumberland and Flight

I went to Cumberland with Ron this weekend for the Maryland Middle School Association. I wanted to give you some highlights:
  • driving down (read: a really long ride to Cumberland) with Ron and listening to 80s rap (this is a given)
  • teaching a class to 12 people, one wouldn't stop talking, one kept typing on his laptop, one was stupid, and one was cute but didn't talk to me. Overall, it was a good class though, we have some things to tweak so----it should be better next time.
  • pigging out in the hotel restaurant (twice)
  • taking a KILLER nap. So killer that we missed the "mashed potato" bar. wtf?
  • waking up and watching "Evolutions" or whatever that movie with Kate Beckensdale is that just came out with a sequel that was probably just as bad as this one.
  • OK: Ron and I decided to go try and find some booze----of course it's Sunday night and we aren't expecting anything to be open in Cumberland. We have to drive across the border into West Virginia. We drive way too far, we are in like bumblefuck West VA. totally lost. We finally call the bitch Candi at the hotel who gave us the wrong directions in the first place. We have to turn around and then after like 45 minutes of driving----we finally find this place: Blankenships. Miraculously, it's still open. At one point, Ron was convinced we were driving on a railroad track and he told me to "keep my eyes open". We, in fact, were not driving on a railroad track.
  • We pull up to Blankenships. Ron starts freaking out about they are going to like shoot us since we are in hick country and we look like an "interracial couple." This comment, of course sent me into hysterics and I could barely walk.
  • We go over to the beer freezer and found nothing really that good. We got Killians. And then we got some Mike's Hard Lemonade. I realized now why I don't like it. It tastes horrible and has like no alcohol in it. Ron walked over to the wine area. This area consisted of a wine rack with like two types of wine.
  • Ron asked if they had a corkscrew---we couldn't buy wine without one----but then she said we have twist off wine. (of course this place has twist off wine) I winced and saw that it was some fruity looking white zinfandel which made me gag. Ron asked if she knew which were good. She says, don't get that one (pointing to the kind with the corkscrew) "it tastes like ass". She actually said that. Of course, Ron is stifiling a laugh and I'm laughing out loud. We buy two bottles and some snacks.
  • Then as we are getting rung up she goes, "let me know how you like it." As if we are ever going to return to the Cumberland/WVA border and shop for beer.
  • We spent the rest of the night drinking and watching South Park.
  • Monday was pretty boring standing at the booth----then we drove home and I took a nap.

BUT THEN.....my dad drove me to the metro station so I could catch my flight back to NYC. As we were driving the sky started to get really dark and ominous. Then it started to lightly rain. By the time we were at Takoma Park it was hailing and freezing. I got to the airport to learn that my 9pm flight was taking off at 10----ok, not bad.

Sike---what they REALLY meant was----Oh, the plane you are supposed to fly back to New York on is actually still in Boston unable to take off and get here b/c there is like a tornado on the east coast. I finally took off at 12:30pm and arrived in NYC a hour or so later. I didn't get to bed until 2pm. I have to wake up four hours later and be on point for work. uh----it was a rough morning. I'm managing.

I ate a crab cake this weekend. :)

Thanks to Carolyn and Darren for understanding my blog hiatus and for also recognizing my fame.

Happy Tuesday!

Love,

Lauren

1 Comments:

  • At Thursday, April 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a little hurt there was no blog mention of your Friday night bedmate and fun weekend stuff all blogs should have :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home