Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Dentist and Stick It

As many of you know----I like the dentist. I love going and getting my teeth cleaned and the like. I like the challenge of not choking on the spit sucker and trying to hold a conversation with my dentist about where I work and what I do with about 18 instruments stuck in there.

Everything changed yesterday after my appointment to get my cavities filled. And here the story shall begin:

I walked in extremely nervous as it is and waited for the nurse, assistant lady to call me back. The first thing that happens is that I meet the dentist that is going to fill my teeth. His name is Dr. Joe. I'm fairly sure he's a pediatric dentist, b/c that is what the dentist told me on Wednesday and adults in the professional world that use their first names as last names are hacks. So----the fact that he normally is a dentist for kids, I considered it acceptable. OK----so, he's like:

Dr. Joe: Lauren, have you even gotten a chance to look at your x-ray's from yesterday?
SL: No, I didn't.
Dr. Joe: Well, we found some more cavities.
SL: Yesterday, Dr. Kafka said I had two.
Dr. Joe: Well, there are actually five.
SL: Five...???
Dr. Joe: But don't worry----they are so tiny. I think it's b/c you eat too much candy. Is that right? They are in between the teeth and so, it looked like two separate ones, but really there are four.
SL: (hysterically crying)
Dr. Joe: I'm sorry this is so upseting to you. We are going to fill three today and then two on another day. The two on the upper left and the one in the front.
SL: (through tears and sobs) FRONT?!
Dr. Joe: You know, where your tooth was bonded?*** Well, it's normal, bonding doesn't last forever, so there was a little guy there and then we are just going to re-bond the tooth.
SL: (silent---begins to shake)

So, I'm really really upset. This isn't really supposed to be a funny entry even though some of you may laugh and I may laugh in due time, but as for now---nothing is funny about this conversation.

I get into the chair and can't stop crying. I'm nervous and upset about everything. I'm sad I have three more cavities than before. If only I didn't pig out on airheads all the time, and skittles and chocolate, etc.... I was really disappointed in myself. I was also really nervous for the drill and the scaryness of the entire operation. It was then, I began to have the shakes hard core. I could not stop shaking. Dr. Joe kept reassuring me that I was going to be OK, and the only part that sucked was the shot of novacaine.

He numbed up my upper gum line with Oragel, which was really nice of him. Then he put in the first shot. He is really good. It really didn't hurt at all. Then he put in the other shot in and again, not much pain. I think it's cause he works with kids. I hate how it is generally accepted that adults should be more brave and cabable of handline trauma than children. I think it's the opposite. Kids don't really understand or can even comprehend the complications of going to the dentist, etc. Adults can and understand how scary things can be. I was excited that I got to have a pediatric doctor working on me. I think I'll try and get him every time. Then, we had to wait a little bit for the Novacaine to take full effect. I was still crying and shaking. I really couldn't stop. I was really nervous----clearly.

Then, it was time to start the whole drilling and filling thing. That actually was the most pleasant part of the whole appointment. He was really fast and really good. The only annoying part was that every once in a while the assistant lady would shove the spit sucker down my throat unexpectedly and that annoyed me. I'm like, "wtf?" can you please give me a little warning about it? Anyway, the funny part was that she would do the shoving thing and then be like, "I'm sorry about that." I was totally annoyed. It finally was over. I was all numb and still shaky. The shaking thing was so bad that my mouth would chatter and then b/c the dentist was doing work on my mouth, I didn't think it was that good of an idea to be like chattering with all these drills and things inside it. So---I would then concentrate REALLY hard on not chattering. Then I would end up having my whole body shake. I was pretty much convulsing the whole time. It was awful. I love how they ask you to "rinse" after the whole thing is done. So I put the mini cup to my lips that I can't feel and attempt to take a sip---and then swish it around in my mouth that I can't feel and then end up drooling all over the place. It's like a funny joke to them.

After I walked out of the dentist's office I promptly called my mom and began to bawl. As if I hadn't cried enough already in the dentist's office. She was a great mom and comforted me on my walk home. My face was still numb but I felt a bit better after talking with her. Mom's are good for that.

I went home, changed clothes and went to Blockbuster. I couldn't very well eat anything. I rented the movie "Stick It". It was funny and good. I recommend it. A good rental. Anyway----I was in a bummed out mood and went to bed relatively early.

Today I feel fine. My mouth is a little sore where they shot me----but otherwise, I'm great and I survived.

Thanks for your support----and REALLy thanks to those of you that called me after the fact to see how everything went. :)

TGIF!

Love,
Lauren

P.S. Beth are we going out/seeing a movie tonight? xo

***my tooth was bonded in 11th grade after an accident with my attempting to carry my bike up my stairs at my parents house, when I tripped, the bike handlebar went into my face and part of my frontish teeth were chipped off. This is I think in the top 5 most traumatic things that have ever happened to me. To this day I am still haunted by that handlebar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home