Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Isle of Coney*

The main purpose of this entry is to write about my trip to Coney Island last night with Beth and China. It was totally awesome. I know, you've heard a lot of disgusting and horrible things about Coney Island. How the beaches are gross and nasty and how there are like ghetto and WT people there. Yes, you are right. But, the thing you have to realize is---those are not the reasons to go to Coney Island. There is so much other stuff that makes the trip worthwhile. Let me elaborate.

1. The Time Warp: Yes, going to Coney Island is much like a time machine. But Beth put it right, it's not necessarily to a particular point in time or anything but it's just really strange

2. The Cyclone: This roller coaster was built in 1927---and has been open ever since. It is the best roller coaster I've ever been on. It doesn't go upside down, there are no fancy twists and turnes, nothing of that nature. The main reason it's so scary is that it is so old. When you are in the cars, it feels like the bolts are going to come loose and you are going to die. The hills are incredible. They are pretty much vertical and you feel like you are going to fly out of the car. The entire time you are going at the speed of light, with the track crackling underneath you. Hill after hill and you are screaming and want to die. I got off and was shaking. Of course, I went on it again. It was great.

3. The WonderWheel: This is the tallest ferris wheel in the world---I am scared of heights. I didn't really want to go on it. I had never been on a ferris wheel and most height situations make me hyperventilate. Especially those involving a swinging car like 100 feet in the air going around in a circle. I wasn't too keen on the idea. I got persuaded, since I give into peer pressure so easily and went on it. I pretty much had a panic attack on the top. Not because it was high---but it was. But because the particular car we were on was on these special tracks that the car would like swing back and forth on. Imagine complete terror---and that is what I was experiencing. I lived through it, though I am never going on it again.

4. Original Nathans: We stopped for Nathan's hotdogs and fries and sat on a bench at ate them (read: pigged out of them). It was delicious. Also----cheap and that was an added bonus. :)

5. One sketchy (read: disgusting) thing was that when we were eating dinner on the bench, I saw a rat on the beach. Now that is gross right? Well, yeah, that's why any decent person doesn't go to Coney Island for the actual beach part.

Ok, I have to go back to my favorite hobby: reading about infectuous diseases and people with horrible deformities on the internet!

Ciao!

Lauren

*a bit of this entry was written retroactively :)

1 Comments:

  • At Monday, September 11, 2006, Blogger chiniqua said…

    Whooo hoo!!! Coney! It would almost be worth it to live in Bay Ridge just to be able to go to Coney quick & easy.
    And you were very brave on the Wonder Wheel.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home