Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Friday, August 04, 2006

A/C and Blair HS

Yesterday was eventful. If by eventful, I mean just extremely interesting. A few things happened that were strange but noteworthy. It all started in the morning when I tried to wake up. I had the alarm set for 6 like I usually do---and then press snooze for a bunch of times. But actually what happened was that that around 5:30 i woke up drenched in sweat because I don't have an a/c thing in my bedroom and since it was the sahara outside, consquentially--couldn't sleep. So---I moved outside to the living room, where is was apprx. 20 degress cooler. Then I immediately passed out and then woke up late. I came in all frazzled. Shocking right? I told my boss about the whole no sleeping situation and how I had not been getting a good sleep all week. He then began his mission to help me sleep: facilitate Lauren getting a new air conditioner for her bedroom. He "made a few calls" and then all of a sudden, I had picked out an a/c from P.C. Richards and paid a wholesale price for it. And was in a cab uptown to go pick it up and bring it to my house. This plan was going very smoothly. Keep in mind, this is DURING the work day. He mandated me to go uptown, buy the a/c and then go to my house to install it and then come back to work. Only part of his plan actually worked. Let me explain.

So, the lady from PC Richards calls me and is like, "You need to come to the store RIGHT NOW or all the A/Cs are going to be sold out." So---I hop in a cab and race to the 86th street store, the one closest to my apartment. Like clockwork, I go in, tell them my name and why I'm there and everything has already been taken care of---yeah what?! I got connections!

So then...I take the box with the box holding the a/c and try to carry it back to my apartment. At this point, I'd like to mention that I'm not a weak person. In fact, I have a lot of upper body strength and I pride myself on being somewhat in shape. When I picked up the box, I felt like I was going to die. It had handles on the side and everything but you know when you have handles on the side you need to be able to firmly grasp the handle part going inside the box for a firm and solid grip. Well, one problem was that the a/c was in the way of me having a firm grasp. So, my fingers were getting smushed and it was also possibly the heaviest thing I've ever tried to lift. I got out the door and took about 5 steps. And I had to put it down. I mustered up the strength to cross the street with the behemouth b/c that was the way that I needed to go to get in a cab to my apartment. One "funny" thing was that no cabs were coming. Like, seriously, no cabs were coming. This was highly irritating to me. I then had to somehow get the fucking air conditioner across the street yet again, wasting energy. Did I mention that it was aprx. 105 degrees out yesterday and I'm my work clothes, drenched in sweat and quite ticked off. It's hard to see the end result when you are in the state I was in.

So, I began to wait for a cab that would be "coming" in the other direction. I waited for aprx. 15 minutes. (Guys, it actually was 15 minutes, not like Lauren making up long times for purposes of exaggerating the story) I walked over to the guy that was outside of PCR and asked him what he thought I should do. I clearly explained that I needed to get a cab, and that none were coming and the ones that were had people in them. I mean, it is ridiculous, this is New York City!!! By the way, there was this REALLY HUGE fat woman with the biggest boobs I've ever seen also trying to hustle a cab. I'm sure the cab driver felt bad for her and that's why he pulled over. She was also a bitch. So now, I had a big boobed bitch to deal with and also still no way to get home with my damn a/c. I was really getting pissed.

Then all of a sudden, the really nice guy with cornrows at PCR told me he was going to call his "friend that sells umbrellas up the street" because "he has a van and sometimes he does this kind of stuff." I was a bit skeptical at first, and then I glanced down at the huge box of death and said "ok". I told the cornrow guy I only had eight bucks and that's all he would be able to get out of me. A cab ride would have cost apx. 4.50 since I lived about 2.2 miliseconds from the store. Do you now get the picture on how heavy the box must have been? Yeah, seriously.

Five seconds later the guy comes with his van. He's totally cool, has a gold tooth and he introduced himself and everything, although his name now escapes me. He was super nice and we chatted in the car about random things----and then he put it right on my doorstep. I gave him the $8 and he was on his way. I had to get this thing up a flight of stairs.

I changed really quickly and then went back downstairs to get the box. I heaved it up the stairs slowly and finally got it back into my bedroom. Sweat was pouring down my whole body. I had no interest in installing it. Also, the last time I installed an A/C, the one in my kitchen, was when Emily was visiting. It took us like an hour to figure everything out---I was hot, uncomforable and really just wanted to get back to work in the A/C. I left it on the floor of my bedroom, showered, and then returned to work.

The rest of the day at work was uneventful.

**post traumatic injuries: I am experiencing massive pain in my biceps and arms and also where my radius and ulna connect to my humerus---my inside elbow area. Cool air has a big price to pay.

After work, Lindsay and I decided to hang out. Happy Hour it was. We were going to this place on 50th---Kate's something...anyway, they had good specials and the bar tender was really cute and gave us a free round. It was fantastic to hand out with her after the accident/wedding/etc.** Derek showed up and we chilled with him for a while. Then, we were starving and went in search of a place along 2nd to eat like American food and stuff. It was this like tavern place I think, I can barely remember, b/c I was relatively drunk. More drunk than I ever thought b/c I only had like 2-3 beers. It was a sad story. So---I pigged out on a burger and fries and then I was going to go home and then go out with Jess. When we left I was fully planning on doing all of that. But then, I got way more tired and felt like sick and still sort of drunk.

Ok---Lindsay dragged me back to her apartment withere Derek and this kid he's friends with from college, Josh. We had found out during dinner that Josh grew up in like "Sligo Creek" area. Which was random and of course we are all OBSESSED that he was from SS. So----we walked in and the following conversation transpired:

Me and LB: Hey, where did you go to high school?
Josh: Blair
Me and LB: NO WAY!~ No you didn't! Stop lying!
Josh: No, seriously I did. I graduated in 1997.
Me and LB: Nuh-uh! You didn't!
*LB goes and fetches the yearbook*
Lauren: Tell me your last name now!
*looks in yearbook*
Lauren: OMG!!!! THERE YOU ARE!!!! Holy crap!!!!
Lindsay: *laughing" Oh my god! How did I not know this before!
Lauren and Lindsay: like staring at the picture and then immediately becoming obsessed with the people he knew for about 25 minutes.

Then, I couldn't participate in the conversation anymore b/c I was too out of it. The adrenalyn had worn off from the initial excitement of him attending Blair. I then realized there was no way I could go out much less install and A/C.

I walked to the subway with Josh, and we talked about math and how he hates law school.

Then I had a barely awake conversation with Jaxx (I'm sorry about that), got home, passed out on the couch and then woke up very rested.
---------------------
I'm playing touch football with my company this fall. I'm really into organized sports, especially ones that involve running and then going to a bar afterwards. It's just fantastic. I think our team is going to be insane. Don't be jealous. Seriously.

I also decided to quit gymnastics. It's too hard and it makes me way too sore the day after. I know I haven't gone in a while and I'm generally not a quitter----but there are just some things I have to say "no" to. Get my drift. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll find some other passion that I'll attempt to pursue and

In Other News----my blog entry got posted on the NWB pool site. You should take a peek if you care. It's sort of lame, I'll admit, but it gets the job done.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs Gotcha!!!

Love,
Lauren


**I also want to mention that on Wednesday night I hung out with Beth and it too, was really fun and awesome and we eat Flor and stuffed our faces and it really was quality time together. I love you Bethy!

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, July 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I find your blog rather useful. I have always bought the appliances from major supermarkets. The quality was not always perfect but I could always get the refund or warranty service. I have heard that PC Richards, an authorized retailer of appliances, also provides good quality products at moderate prices with favorable warranty conditions. I was thinking of getting something from them, but still do not dare, since on www.pissedconsumer.com there are to many negative reviews.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home