Simply Lauren.

one day i'll write a book. but for now, this blog will do.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bald Eagles and Brewery's

Hey everyone!

So----just for the record, it's really annoying for me to sign into blogger b/c I originally signed up with my yahoo email and how it's like trying to be exclusively a google thing so I was prompted to sign in with my gmail email account, which I haven't started using it yet because it has my new last name and like---I didn't want to be that freak girl who wrote with her married name on an email before she was even married----so anyway, I need to find a way to switch this already existing blog to my gmail account without it being like messed up and having to start over b/c lord knows I am SOOOO not doing that.

One other day randomly at work this was blocked, so it's uber annoying trying to publish things when I'm supposed to be working. Anyway, I wanted to write about last weekend. It was so great.

So, for the past five weeks, Jake and I have been dog sitting for his parents dog: Doodle. Yes the dog's name is Doodle. Do you want to know why that's his name? Well---he's a goldendoodle, which is a cross b/t a Golden Retriever and a Poodle. Jake's dad had the "bright" idea of creating a "unique" name for him: Doodle. But, I usually call him "Dude" or "Doody" which is also funny. Anyway, so he's really cute but he's kind of young, like a little puppy or a little toddler. He looks like a muppet, yes, that is the best way to put it. He is the best cuddle dog and I sort of miss having him around. Anyway, while his parents were away and we had Doody, we couldn't really go anywhere so we had decided that after they came back, we'd go away for a weekend. The Chesapeake Bay Hyatt was running a special where it was like $99 a night and so we booked a nice water view room for this past weekend.

After I got home from work on Friday, we drove up. It was like perfect b/c it was about an hour and a half away. We ate a yummy (but a bit overpriced) dinner at this resto that was right on he resort and then we just drank champagne and relaxed for the rest of the evening. On Saturday, that's when all the cool stuff happened. We had breakfast in bed and then headed out to the Blackwater Reserve. It is like a wildlife reserve where they have all types of animals, but specifically blad eagles. I know it seems quasi-logical that since a bald eagle is America's bird, that they would be easily spotted and found all over. They got over their endangered hump, I think they are actually off the list right now but I had still never seen one. We REALLY wanted to get a glimpse of one that day.

First we walked down this road and we saw an eagle flying. But it was REALLY high up and you couldn't get the full eagle effect ya know? So---we drove down this other path right by the water and we saw a group of snow geese that was like 1000 strong. Jake took out his camera and started taking pix of them and all of a sudden, this small group of like 10 birds got up to fly and then the rest of the pack flew away for their like "fly-away" hour or whatever. It was INSANE. It was like a cloud of moving feathers honking away for like ten minutes. Jake got some GREAT shots. There was this dude next to us on the road that was also taking pictures of the fly-away event and his camera was like the size of my whole body. Seriously people, the lens was like INSANE long. Then, right as the whole bird flying thing was happening, we saw a bald eagle fly by us and then land on a dead tree in the middle of the water. It was exactly how you would expect to see a bald eagle. A big as FUCK bird like totally dominating over the immediate area. They are so effing badass, it's not even funny. We have a kick ass national bird for shizz. We were also snapping away at this bird too, so was the guy with the super-lens. I asked him if I could look into his lens to see how close he could get and seriously it was like zoomed into the birds pupil.

Then we were driving away and saw ANOTHER one!? Jake took more pix. It was really stunning, and I'm not trying to sound like a nature loving nerd, even though I sort of am. It's the truth. We grabbed a quick lunch and then drove about 2o minutes to St. Michael's. It's a cute little eastern shore town with a bit of poshiness to it, but it's still cool, not stuffy. We walked up and down the street a little stopping in some shops. I was really excited b/c we stopped at this one craft store and I bought a crab cookie cutter. I am SO EXCITED ABOUT THE CRAB COOKIE CUTTER! :) I just need a reason to make some crab cookies. :)

Then we went into this brewery. It's the only brewery on the eastern shore and it sort of looks like a barn, it's pretty cold inside but it's AWESOME. The owner was there and his partner and then the owners parent's came in. They were so interesting and fun to talk to. Jake and I sat at the bar and drank there for about three hours. Then we were tipsy and hungry and walked down to his amazing resto called "Bistro" right on the main drag. The food was delicious and yum. After dinner, we rolled our stuff selves bak to the hotel for more wine and more fun.

Sunday was sort of gloomy and rainy so it was the perfect morning for lazy, sleep in and relax. We got a late check out and then drove home. It was such a great weekend. I suggest you all check it out!

Ok----well, I have to get back to work now.

Loveskies,
SL

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, February 24, 2009, Blogger of shoes--and ships--and said…

    you need no *reason* to make crab cookies. just make them. and i'll eat them. when i get back from spain.

     
  • At Tuesday, February 24, 2009, Blogger of shoes--and ships--and said…

    ps. this is steph barnes.

     
  • At Wednesday, February 25, 2009, Blogger Lindsay said…

    i LOLed so hard when you said you looked into the guy's lens and it was focused on the eagle's pupil - BEST NATURE STORY EVER!

     
  • At Wednesday, February 25, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bahahahaha I too loved your description of that psycho camera! Here's what I would use the crab cookie cutters for: you know how some people are really annoying about their health? Like, they update you every time they think they're coming down with a cold, or they give you a play-by-play of very doctor's visit and medical test they undergo? The next time someone starts on one of those rants, bake them your cookies and deliver them with a note that says, "At least you don't have crabs!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home